Support teams are a vital part of the event and Yompers could not complete the challenge without their help – it is a hugely important role and we want them to feel part of the event.
What are the support team’s key roles on the day?
- to look after any team member who drops out along the route
- to be a familiar face, laden with treats and moral support whenever they need it
- to help administer basic first aid support to any team member who needs it – you may need to attend to a few blisters, for example
- to carry additional equipment for the participating team around the route, including food, drink and spare kit
- to keep in contact with your team via mobile phones when necessary
Up to two support team crew will receive breakfast on the Saturday morning and dinner at checkpoint 3 – Kirkton of Glen Isla (Silver finish) – on Saturday evening as well as breakfast on Sunday morning. Support crews are welcome to join the Friday night feast. Tickets are £10 per person and can be purchased by participants when they register. Additional tickets can be purchased in advance by calling Yomp HQ on 020 7811 3223.
Paid for support team option
We also recognise that it is a big commitment to travel to the event and spend 24 hours meeting you at various checkpoints so if you are struggling to recruit a team, we can provide this for you.
For £30 per person we will:
- Take your kit from checkpoint to checkpoint
- Make sure it's there when you need to change your boots, socks or stock up on fuel.
- Take you back to the event hub from any of the checkpoints if you are completing Bronze and Silver.
How will this work
We will have several kit vans travelling around the route. They will be at each checkpoint, as your own support team would.
On the morning of the Yomp, you'll hand in your bag in return for a support team wristband. When you arrive at a checkpoint, show this wristband and you'll be directed to your bag.
Once you've finished at the checkpoint, load it back on the kit van and as soon as it's full the van will head to the next checkpoint. A minibus will be available to take you back to the event hub.
What if I don't have a support team and I haven't paid for the charity support team?
In this situation you will be entirely responsible for carrying your kit and getting yourself back to the event hub should you withdraw at any of the checkpoints. We will not be providing transport. The likelihood is you'll find a kind Yomper to help you out, or we can provide numbers for taxi companies around the area.
What if I have a medical issue?
We will still be providing first class medical support along the route and evacuate you from the route for further treatment if required. If you get into any difficulties at all then follow the emergency procedure.